Where to stay in New York It is one of the queries we receive most, especially after travelers see that the options in the city tend to be unlimited and in many cases, at very high prices.
The first thing that we think is important, is to know that although the options are multiple, if it is your first trip to the city, the recommendations are greatly reduced, so this initial screening probably makes the process of looking for accommodation in New York, a process a lot faster and easier.
In addition to this and after our two trips to the Big Apple, the last one staying for more than a month and a half in East Harlem, on E109th St with Madison Avenue, next to Central Park and during which we wrote this New York guide , we want to leave you the best options for us where to stay in New York, with the best neighborhoods and hotels. We start!
Neighborhoods where to stay in New York
Before you start search hotel in New York, the most advisable thing is to get an idea of the situation of the city and how it is divided, in order to make a selection of accommodation in a clear way and focused on your travel needs.
The city has 5 boroughts or districts, which are known as Manhattan, the Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens and Staten Island and within these, the most recommended or usual to stay in, would be Manhattan, Brooklyn and Queens, the first being the most expensive and the most demanded by most travelers.
In turn, these districts are composed of different neighborhoods and Manhattan, for example, has among its neighborhoods Harlem, the Financial District, Little Italy, Chinatown, the SoHo ... etc.
In general, most travelers opt for Times Square and the surroundings like the area where to stay in New York, for being one of the most famous places in the city and also for being a good base to know the most essential places to visit in New York.
Despite this and considering that it is one of the most expensive areas of the city, we stayed the first time in the city at the Holiday Inn Times Square we understand that this may not be a suitable place for all travelers, so In addition to all the recommendations, we want to leave you with other options that can fit your budget and your trip, to fully enjoy the things to do in New York.
Manhattan, the best area to stay in New York
As we said before Manhattan is the best option where to stay in New York, especially if it is your first trip to the city. Being an island almost 22 kilometers long by almost 4 wide, we could say that it is divided into 3 main areas, which in turn, are divided into different neighborhoods or zones.
- Downtown: This area is located south of the island and includes the neighborhoods: West Village, Greenwich Village, NoHo, East Village, ABC City, SoHo, Little Italy, Bowery, Lower East Side, Tribeca, Chinatown, Civic Center, White Hall , Wall Street and Southern Tip, all of them below 14th Street.
- Midtown: This could be said to be the middle of Manhattan and is where we find the neighborhoods of Clinton, Theater District, Midtown, Turttle Bay, Sutton, Beekman, Hell's Kitchen, Chelsea, Garmet District, Midtown South, Kips Bay, Medical City and Gramercy Park, all between streets 14 and 59.
- Uptown: This area is the northernmost part of Manhattan and is made up of the Lincoln Square, Lenox Hill, Central Park, Upper East Side, Upper West Side, Yorkville, East Harlem, Harlem, Mornigside Heights, Hamilton Heights, Fort George e neighborhoods Inwood all north of 59th Street.
As you can see, the options where to stay in New York they are endless and all of them have their good things and their bad things, so we believe, what is best is that you try to focus on the best known and recommended areas, which we will talk about next and based on your trip and budget, choose the hotel in New York.
Exhange Place in New Jersey
Our recommended accommodation where to sleep in New York
We leave you the selection of places to stay in New York, which we chose during the two trips we have made to the city, staying in different areas of the city.
- Times Square: We stayed at the Holiday Inn Times Square, in a room overlooking the Empire State Building. The hotel has a price that usually exceeds 200 euros a night, although sometimes there are offers for less than 150 euros. The quality / price ratio is excellent in addition to being close to many of the main attractions of the city and have a subway next door.
- East Harlem: In this case, we stayed in an AirBnb apartment being almost two months in the city. If you want to opt for this option, it is important to know that it is only legal if you are going to be more than a month, so if you stay less time, they can cancel your reservation. This is not something that happens regularly, since there is a kind of legal vacuum, but we believe it is something very important to keep in mind, especially if you travel on important dates like Christmas. You can get up to 34 euros off if you book through this link.
Tips for finding cheap accommodation in New York
Although currently and thanks to search engines such as Booking, it is quite easy to search where to stay in New York and find good hotels, we want to leave you a series of recommendations and tips to make this search much easier and more comfortable.
- Something important is to be aware that New York is huge and most tourist attractions are quite a distance from each other, so choose the hotel in New York you choose, you must end up using public transport, especially the subway, so In the end, it is very important more than the location, that the accommodation has a metro line nearby.
- We can't lie, the New York accommodation has very high prices, especially in Manhattan and in the best known or trendy neighborhoods, and although in most cases the quality / price ratio is correct, in others, prices are set by the area or the hotel chain.
- If you are going to travel in high season, especially at Christmas, weekend or holiday, it is very important to book the accommodation in New York in advance, since the places usually run out soon and the prices double.
- Remember that in New York you can pay practically everything with a card, including accommodation. To avoid paying abusive commissions, we always recommend taking money with the BNEXT card and paying with the N26 card.
- You can find much more information in the post The best cards to travel without commissions.
- Taking into account that New York is one of the references in the world in terms of gastronomic offer and above all, in hamburgers we advise you not to stop reading the post The best hamburgers in New York.
- And last but not least, remind you that another option where to sleep in New York is AirBnb, a platform where you can rent an apartment or room. We leave you this link from which you can get a discount of up to 34 euros in your reservation.
Map of neighborhoods and hotels in New York
We leave you a map with the selection of hotels where to sleep in New York of which we have spoken in the post and with the selection of the most recommended neighborhoods. Blue Stars (boroughts or districts), red houses (neighborhoods), yellow hotels (accommodations in Manhattan), green hotels (accommodations in Brooklyn), lilac hotels (accommodations in Queens), orange hotels (accommodations in New Jersey).
If you have any recommendations of hotels where to stay in New York, we will be delighted that you leave it in the comments.SharePinTweetSendSend